Sunday 27 April 2008

se XX y

Hi-O!
It just took me like an hour to load all of this week's photos on Facebook. Yeah, I saw all those bands in my essay week. BUT, even though I trudged home way after essay week curfew, with crippled feet from all the stomping, dodging and jumping in the mosh for Defenders of the Faith, I woke up this morning and worked for two hours on the last of my work due in Tuesday. Can I get a 'yay!'? I think so. Now I'm sick, and resting in bed in my new oversized Opeth t-shirt-cum-grungy dress. Wore it out today for 2pm breakfast at Troubabour, my new favourite hang. Will tell you more about that place some other time.

I'm sick because at the concert I got spit on by the performers, drenched in flying beer, and bottles of water that was sprayed into our mouths (and frequently hit our face instead) by the stage security. They were the nicest stage security I have EVER encountered.

I love how without fail, even though there were big-ass signs saying 'no crowd-surfing', like 5 kids rolled over my head and got caught by security(excluding the anorexic chick who fainted), and all just before and in the middle of the main acts, which I'm sure they waited just as long as we did in line to see. IDIOTS! The line circled the entire Carling Academy building. My friend Mathew and I thought, while we were in it 'Hmmm, I'm hungry, there's Nando's across the street. Maybe one of us can go in and grab something. Nah, it'll take too long and be too expensive.' Then, like 45 minutes later, security is collecting our tickets and we meet up with Nando's again. Anyway, the flu, the waiting, the hunger, getting crushed against the fence, ripping my stockings and the frizzy hair that was flat-ironed to perfection just last week, was all worth it. 'The Akerfeldt was sexy (AND FUNNY! WHO KNEW? MY KINDA BRUTAL SARCASM!) as always.

So, as you can also see from my past posts and from the gig pictures, I got to see HEARTSREVOLUTION perform after all, after missing them at their gig on Tuesday at Madame Jojo's because this happened. Naturally, it was fucking brilliant; a little too short, but brilliantly short.

But my favourite band that night at Moshi Moshi Night at Hoxton Square Bar and Kitchen (check that place out) were newcomers The XX. I can't stay away from their Myspace page. MY GOD. Have you ever been to a show and just wished the crowd would SHUT THE FUCK UP!? Well, this is the first time I wanted to dunk people's wine glasses on their indie-coiffed heads in defense of an opening act performing. They are just...fantastic. My new favourite song EVER right now is from them, it's called 'Teardrops' (see their Myspace page and prepare to melt away and be cradled in their vocals and bass). IT'S THE BASS, BABY! That bass player cuts so deep it actually hurts to hear him play. I actually cried that night upon hearing that song for the first time.

The lead singer, a docile half-asian lesbian with bleached skunk tracks through her chopped hair, had the most soothing voice that you almost couldn't hear. She was so shy I wanted to go up and touch her face and tell her it was okay to sing. It's funny, everytime I day-dreamt when I was younger that I would lead sing in a band, we always sounded like them; I sang like her.

HEY! Also listen to 'Stars'. Close your eyes and listen to the guy's voice, and the lyrics. If you want depression, they'll give it to you. The guy's voice is the bass player, and my new crush. Sometimes, in the flashes of the stage lights he looks like Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I don't fancy Meyers much but I guess I would if he played bass and sang like that and wore that sweater that he did that night. I snapped a picture of him with my flash on, and as soon as I did that, his bass strap came undone. It was THE FUNNIEST thing! Okay, no. Actually I nearly got a heart attack. But he stooped and played on his knee while he fixed it. SAFE!

Anyway, listening to them is like...getting heart-broken by someone you're madly in love with and then you find some random person to talk to and next thing you know your lips are on theirs, but everything's happening really slowly, even the tiny saliva strings from your kisses are bursting slow, and you have hair in your face, and everything's blurry except for their face. That's what it's like okay....? So be careful lol.

Okay, on that note, I'm going to get some well-deserved rest and pray that my bread isn't mouldy yet so I can make cheese on toast for dinner because I'm too lazy to do pasta. Ciao!

No comments: