Wednesday 5 March 2008

BECAUSE I GOT CALLED "ELECTRIC YELLOW" TODAY


I had a job interview and chose to wear this. One of those fund-raiser kids with the clipboards who ask for your credit card details called me "Electric Yellow" TWICE while coming in and out of Liverpool Street Station where my interview was. It was for a bartending position at a cosy champagne and wine bar called City Limits. It was such a sad affair, really, how it went.

He loved me, instantly, from wanting to warm my frozen hand, which he vigorously shook, to talking to me about his olden days of singles and doubles championships (sparked by the assistant tennis coach position printed on my CV). Anyway, we were down to setting up my actual shifts and organizing how my first day(Sunday) would go when he decided to ask me what my plans were for summer. And it all went downhill from there. All I said was I had applied for a couple magazine internships, but that nothing was certain yet (which was a lie).

But I heard it in his voice and saw it in his all-of-a-sudden shifty eyes, that he wanted someone who would be around forever; whose passion in life was sitting at his stiff elbow and serving Pinot Grigio to elderly chaps. He said I was now shortlisted and they would give me a call if anything. Yeah. Everyone knows what that means...

I sighed and headed back home via the station to unwillingly confront my fund-raiser friend. And there he was.
HIM: ELECTRIC YELLOW!
ME: Look, I just had a bad interview okay? Plus, you asked me already.
HIM: Aww really? What was it for?
ME: A bar job.
HIM: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. That's a lovely accent. Where are you from?
ME: Trinidad. Look, hun, I know what you're gonna ask me. They ALL ask me. And the answer is, I'm seventeen and I have no money. Sorry, okay?
HIM: WOW! Seventeen! Really? Well, alright, you're off the hook I guess.
ME: I know. Well, have a nice day. I gotta go.
HIM: You too! KEEP UP THE BRIGHT SHOES!

I also actually nearly became a paparazzo yesterday. I shit you not. They called me up and everything. But apparently, I didn't have the camera they wanted. Poor camera. He does such a good job, don't you think?
SO...THE JOB HUNT CONTINUES!

No comments: