Thursday 14 February 2008

ITEM OF THE DAY

Once again, I'm letting things get a little crazy around here just because it's Valentine's Day. What else am I supposed to do if everyone keeps reminding me about it? Even my mother called me from Dubai to wish me a happy v-day. *Sigh*

So, if there ever was a way to describe love, I think this sonnet by William Shakespeare would be it. Yes; the two S's of love- sonnets (which are a type of poem traditionally on the topic of love) and Shakespeare, the tragic lover himself.

SONNET 130
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

It's basically about a woman who looks NOTHING like Angelina Jolie but he has the hots for her anyway, to put it quite frankly.
P.S. WRITE YOUR LOVER A SONNET! I've done many, but they were because I had to for homework and he was the easiest thing to write about. BUT, I still sent them to him anyway. He was completely flattered and smitten. :D

No comments: